Wanna learn how to make a simple mermaid-scented DIY whipped body butter using shea butter, coconut oil, vitamin E oil, and fragrance oil? Not only does this mermaid-scented body butter smell amazing, it’s fluffy, rich, creamy, and moisturizing as well.
It’s a perfect, natural way to heal your dry skin and to help it regenerate faster. This homemade shea butter-based whipped body butter is the perfect rescue for chapped or cracked skin, inflamed and/or itchy skin, stretch marks, and other skin conditions such as acne, blemishes, and even eczema.
A perfectly light and silky body butter that’s more like whipped cream.
The uplifting yet luxuriously sensual mermaid scent plus the decadently moisturizing and healing properties of coconut oil and shea butter make this the perfect solution to soothe dry skin after a shower. Your skin will absolutely adore this DIY whipped body butter made with natural, nourishing ingredients.
Its fluffy, whipped texture also works great for a massage, so consider this a completely awesome homemade gift for someone who could use a little pampering. Just package it in a cute lil’ jar with a bow and everyone will think you’re a DIY-genius! 😉
Mermaid-Scented DIY Whipped Body Butter
This DIY whipped body butter recipe uses shea butter as a base. Shea butter has a creamy/silky texture when whipped and absorbs quickly into your skin as it melts at body temperature.
Although it’s one of the greasier butters, I wanted to use it in this recipe because of its numerous skin benefits. To offset the grease factor, you can add 1/4 teaspoonful of either tapioca starch, cornstarch or arrowroot powder which does the trick.
Shea butter is a rich nut butter that exists as a solid at room temperature but gets absorbed quickly into the skin as it melts at body temperature. Its rich nutrients include palmitic acid, oleic acid, stearic acid, arachidic acid, and linoleic acid as well as vitamin A and vitamin E. It has relatively high amounts of saturated fatty acids when compared to other plant-sourced lipids, such as grape seed oil and olive oil. All these nutrients make it an excellent emollient and moisturizer plus give it anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, and antioxidant properties.
The base of this DIY whipped body butter is — 100% pure shea butter which is packed with nutrient-dense fatty acids. Shea butter is extremely moisturizing and very hydrating. When applied to the skin it’s gentle, provides immediate softness and smoothness, and is perfectly suitable for sensitive skin. It has a smooth texture that absorbs easily into the skin, making it easy to apply!
Most DIY whipped body butters use coconut oil and for good reason. It’s packed with saturated fats that help the skin stay moisturized. Plus its anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties help treat skin conditions such as acne, eczema and psoriasis while simultaneously soothing inflamed skin, reducing redness and rehydrating skin. Being high in lauric and myristic acids, it’s able to penetrate your skin on a deeper level than other oils, even out skin tone and keep skin healthy and smooth.
Vitamin E Oil
For extra benefits I also used vitamin E oil — which is a nutrient as well as an antioxidant. It has excellent anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and skin-healing properties, making it a great natural remedy for skin care. As an antioxidant, vitamin E oil protects the body from free radicals which damage the body.
Makes about 4 ounces but since this body butter is whipped, 4 ounces of product will fit into one 8-ounce jar or two 4-ounce jars.
- 3 ounces Shea Butter
- 1 ounce Coconut Oil
- 1/4 teaspoonful Arrowroot Powder
- 3 mL Mermaid Fragrance Oil (or any other fragrance oil)
- 1 mL Vitamin E Oil
- Place the shea butter in a microwave-safe container and use a spoon to break up into smaller chunks. Add the coconut oil and heat in microwave for 30 seconds to soften the shea butter. *** The butter should not be melted. ***
- Remove and place the shea butter and coconut oil mixture into a large mixing bowl. Add vitamin E and mermaid fragrance oils.
- Using a hand mixer, begin to whip the shea butter and oils. Raise the speed to high and mix for 10 minutes.
- Add 1/4 teaspoonful arrowroot powder and blend in. Mix on low for a few moments then raise the speed to medium. Continue to whip for about 5 more minutes until the body butter is fluffy and whipped and almost double in size.
- Turn off mixer and scrape every 5 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Store your body butter in two 4-ounce jars or one 8-ounce jar. Note: Do not use a piping bag as this will flatten the mixture by squeezing the air out of the whipped product.
How To Use
Apply this body butter as needed for radiant and beautiful skin.
Wanna make it a gift set?
What are your favorite handmade gifts to give?
If you like this Mermaid-Scented DIY Whipped Body Butter, be sure to pin it to your DIY Beauty Board!
For even more great tips, skincare recipes, and beauty DIY’s, be sure to follow our boards on Pinterest.