Although most men probably don’t care about their skin as much as women do, they still care about the appearance of their skin. They just complain a little less about it. My husband is one of those men. He suffers from adult acne but he rarely complains or mentions it. So since I like making my own body washes, I crafted this amazing homemade detox soap for the men and boys in our lives!
Making your own homemade detox soap or body wash is such a fun and rewarding experience! It gives you the freedom to experiment with different scents and additives minus the risk of harmful chemicals. My husband wasn’t sold on the idea…at first. I explained the benefits of natural soap to him and convinced him to ditch his store-bought soap. It took some serious convincing, and this recipe I’m going to share with you today helped tip the scales.
Activated charcoal and salt from the Dead Sea combine in this homemade detox soap to remove impurities from the skin, gently exfoliate, naturally absorb odors, fight acne and blemishes, and even shrink pores. To top it all off, the essential and fragrance oils in this homemade detox body soap recipe for men are psyche-soothing and smell fantastic. They’re very much manly scents. And don’t worry if you don’t already own a bunch of manly essential and fragrance oils. I am offering this combination of essential and fragrance oils already made for you in my shop. You can buy it here!
The essential oils are clary sage and lavandin:
Clary sage is a flowering herb. The essential oil has a clean, refreshing scent that is used as a skin balm or as part of an aromatherapy treatment to ease stress and calm frazzled nerves. And lavandin is a special type of lavender with balancing, calming, and purifying properties. The scent is very similar to lavender but with a slightly stronger aroma that pairs well with many essential oils.
The fragrance oils are mahogany and teakwood:
Mahogany fragrance oil is a traditional men’s fragrance. It’s a combination of a rich mahogany wood top note plus more herb-like notes of lemongrass and basil. Teakwood is a strong, rich earthy scent that relaxes your mind. The fragrance oil combines top notes of amber and musk with hints of leather and tobacco. Think aged teakwood, patchouli and sandalwood blended with black tea.
All these come together in this robust blend that’s a wonderfully classic men’s scent perfect for men’s body wash or shaving soap. This scent is very similar to our Mahogany Teakwood Body Wash (which contains African Wild Cucumber to get rid of body odor). The oils come together to provide a rich, aroma-therapeutic experience right in your shower — one that’s similar to taking a walk in the woods. My husband really loved the scent of this finished soap. And your man or boy will LOVE it!
I’ve also included 4 different scent ideas below. And they’re all husband approved!
Turn this DIY Body Wash Recipe For Men into a gift idea by combining:
- A bottle of our Mahogany Teakwood Body Spray,
- With a bottle of our Moisturizing Aftershave Gel Recipe For Men,
- And a bottle of this charcoal homemade body soap for men (see below). Alternatively, you can buy our Mahogany Teakwood Body Wash in our shop here. It contains African Wild Cucumber which has antibacterial properties great for getting rid of body odor naturally.
Put them all into a gift basket, an organza bag or something even more manly like a reusable wooden crate.
Homemade Detox Soap Recipe For Men
- 10 ounces unscented body wash such as castille soap or a natural body wash base
- 0.6 ounces of shea butter
- 0.4 ounces vegetable glycerin
- 0.5 teaspoonfuls xanthan gum
- 0.02 ounces activated charcoal
- 2 teaspoonfuls Dead Sea salt
- 1.6 ounces botanical extract blend containing calendula flower bud, sunflower, aloe, Irish moss and marshmallow extracts
- 2 mL vitamin E oil
- 1.5 mL clary sage essential oil
- 1.5 mL lavandin essential oil
- 18 drops mahogany fragrance oil
- 18 drops teakwood fragrance oil
- Two 8-ounce bottles
- To make your own homemade detox soap, weigh the shea butter and add to a microwave-safe bowl. Heat gently, in 15-second increments, until melted.
- Weigh and add your unscented body wash to a separate medium-sized bowl. Heat in microwave for 30 seconds at a time to 100 F.
- Add the vegetable glycerin and xanthan gum to your soap while gently mixing with a stick blender. Try to keep bubbles at a minimum.
- Next, add the shea butter. Mix gently into the body wash.
- Add activated charcoal and mix until fully blended. Then add the Dead Sea salt and continue blending.
- Add the botanical extract blend, essential and fragrance oils while mixing until you feel they are thoroughly fully blended.
- Pour into your 8-ounce bottles. Make sure that it doesn’t overfill your bottles (which may happen depending on their size. Not all bottles are made equal). Don’t cap until mixture is completely cooled.
This body wash isn’t thick and that’s normal. It’s thin and this is a natural occurrence. If you want to make it thicker, add more xanthan gum to your recipe. Also, this homemade detox soap may separate into two layers. This is also normal. Just shake it well before use.
To use: Shake well. Massage into damp skin using either a loofah or your hands. Rinse with warm water as usual. Keep out of eyes. Use daily in the shower, or as a once-a-week whole body treatment.
I prefer not to use a washcloth because charcoal can transfer color to it if a lot is used in a recipe. Though in my experience, I have not found that charcoal soap stains washcloths permanently.
Store out of direct sunlight for up to 6 months.
As promised, here are 4 different manly scent blends that we love. They’re some of my husband’s favorites. Just replace the essential/fragrance oils in the recipe above with these blends. Or you can make your own! I like to use 12 drops of essential/fragrance oil for each ounce of soap base because I found this gave the best aroma.
These are the variations you can make:
Cedarwood, Musk & Mint (my husband’s favorite):
2 mL of Cedarwood Essential Oil
32 drops of Musk Fragrance Oil
24 drops of Mint Fragrance Oil
Alternatively, you can buy our Cool Water Body Wash which has a similar scent.
Musk & Rosewood:
3 mL of Musk Fragrance Oil
36 drops of Rosewood Fragrance Oil
Alternatively, you can buy our Active Sport Body Wash which has a similar scent.
Cedarwood, Sandalwood & Musk:
36 drops of Cedarwood Essential Oil
36 drops of Sandalwood Fragrance Oil
24 drops of Musk Fragrance Oil
Alternatively, you can buy our Galaxy Body Wash which has a similar scent.
Bergamot, Juniper Berry, Jasmine & Patchouli:
24 drops of Bergamot Essential Oil
24 drops of Juniper Berry Essential Oil
About 24 drops of Jasmine Essential Oil
About 24 drops of Patchouli Essential Oil
Alternatively, you can buy our London Rules Body Wash which has a similar scent.
Enjoy experimenting with this charcoal homemade detox soap recipe for men, making your own body wash, and coming up with your own scent blends as well! It’s really fun and exciting. And the possibilities are endless!