Who’s still going strong with their New Year’s resolutions? My New Year’s resolution was to work out, get back in shape and lose pounds I put on during the holidays. So I’ve been hitting the gym hard to achieve my goals but that means tired and achy muscles.
While I love the way I look and feel, I’m not crazy about the sore muscles that come along with. Don’t get me wrong, having sore muscles from working is a good thing! It’s a sign that you’re getting stronger and your muscles are growing and changing. That being said, post-workout muscle soreness isn’t fun.
So, if you’ve been hitting the gym hard or you had a tough sports practice or game and your muscles are stiff and tight, instead of skipping your workout or slacking off for a day, use this quick and easy DIY sports soak to soothe your overworked muscles and sore body, and to help ease the muscle pain and fatigue!
Add the soak to a clear jar or mason jar and give it as a gift to the workout or fitness enthusiast in your life! I like to pair it with Born to Move Muscle Relief Body Wash. Infused with antioxidant-rich African Wild Cucumber, this wash not only gets rid of odor-causing bacteria on the skin, it clears the mind and relieves thoughts of tension with the aromatherapy blend of eucalpytus, orange, rosemary and peppermint. It also imparts a soothing and uplifting fragrance experience that helps my muscles and body relax and heal.
Sports Soak for Sore Muscles
Watch this short video, then make your own DIY sports soak for sore muscles!
Supplies and Ingredients:
- 1-1/2 cups Epsom Salt
- 1/2 cup Dead Sea Salt
- 1/2 cup Baking Soda
- 6-8 drops of Essential/Fragrance Oils — Born to Move Fragrance Oil or any muscle relief oil blend containing eucalyptus, orange, rosemary and peppermint oils and is recommended for sore muscle pain relief. (Note: I used Born to Move fragrance oil for my jar of sports soak and I LOVE it!)
- 1 mini scoop Blue Mica Powder or 2 drops of Blue Food Coloring (optional)
1. In a large bowl, add 1-1/2 cups of Epsom salt, 1/2 cup of Dead Sea salt, and 1/2 cup of baking soda. Mix together until well combined.
2. Add 6-8 drops of essential/fragrance oils and mix thoroughly with a whisk.
3. Sprinkle 1-2 mini scoops of blue mica powder and continue to mix well
until the color is evenly distributed (any soap colorant or even food coloring will do). I used 1 mini scoop as I wanted it a lighter shade of blue.
Below is what it looks like with 2 mini scoops of powder.
4. Store your DIY sports soak in a clear plastic jar or mason jar. Place lid on jar and follow with ribbon or decorative twine.
Since this soak doesn’t have a preservative, I store mine in an 8-ounce jar and keep it out of the shower to prevent contamination with water and bacteria.
Simply add 1 cup of the DIY sports soak to your bath water to provide relaxation and relief for tired, sore, and achy muscles.
This sports soak also detoxifies your body by drawing out harmful toxins, relaxes you and improves circulation. It cleanses your body leaving you refreshed and rejuvenated plus your dry, stressed skin will feel hydrated, soothed and purified!
In addition, it gets rid of body odor, including smelly armpits and smelly feet, plus gets rid of odors from clothes. Not only does it have powerful antibacterial properties that kill odor-causing bacteria, it pulls moisture and sweat out of your skin, keeping you dry and less-inviting to bacteria. And it neutralizes odors by neutralizing some of the acids in sweat, leaving a fresh, lovely scent!
This relaxing DIY sports soak helps relax tense, sore muscles yet doesn’t leave you smelling like vapor rub. The aroma will calm your mind and muscles, but won’t lull you to sleep.